Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Doug Bucci



Today the artist, jewelry maker, designer, and there is definitely more you could call him because it seemed like this guy does it all! He incorporates science and his condition of diabetes into so much of his work and the products look awesome. For instance in this piece it looks like blood cells made into a necklace. I was amused by this speaker's enthusiasm throughout his speech talking about his process, his life, and his work because most of the people who have come to talk really haven't been this engaging or kept me listening the whole time. He gave helpful hints to making it as an artist and my number one favorite and I think that something that I am really going to use as  motto in my life, is to be uncomfortable. He explained that you should always put yourself in something that you are not comfortable doing and therefore you will produce some of your best work, push yourself, and in the end learn, which is ultimately, in my belief, what life is about. I know a lot of Bucci's work is commercial but I really liked that aspect of him and it makes me think about going into industrial design or using CAD or something. That's actually what my parent's degrees are in, but up until now I never gave it that much attention. I don't think I would totally be comfortable doing that and I think that may be a good thing.  

No comments:

Post a Comment